Wednesday 8 February 2012

Here comes the Sunn (groan)

I haven’t posted here in ages.  I thought continually posting about losing basketball games probably wasn’t that interesting and, to be honest, I’ve had lots of exciting other things to do, like feeling the kicks and shifts of my soon to arrive firstborn who is still expanding inside my wife.

What has got me sufficiently hyped up to put fingers to keyboard and resume my tenuous relationship with blogging?  A bike.  A bike I remember wanting during my early teenage years.  A silly, single geared, wrong size wheeled, French bike from a manufacturer which owned certain sub-disciplines of the MTB scene in the early to mid nineties.

I am talking, of course, about a Sunn.  A Sunn BMiX to be more precise; the bike which took elements of MTB and mixed (hence the name) them with BMX.  Actually, the size of the wheels (26”) is about the only MTB influence, everything else is BMX.

Last Friday I became the (overly) proud owner of a 1999 (I think) model BMiX in a fetching “French’s American Mustard” shade of yellow.  I’ve only ridden it up and down my road a few times, but it’s one of those bikes which just has a ‘feel’ of being right.  It wants you to hop it up the kerbs and to manual back down, it encourages the sort of hooligan riding that makes people look at you disapprovingly.  It is, in the year of my thirtieth birthday, making me feel like a youth.  I think that’s probably priceless.

Here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment