Wednesday 12 October 2011

A Return to Form

I play a bit of basketball, it's one of those things which begins with B that I've found myself drawn to over the years.

I'm not very good; the team I play for finished last season at the bottom of its division.  Its division was the lowest of three, within a league which only covers amateur teams in a small area of the UK.  We were really quite bad.

Toward the end of last year we decided to make some changes, to be a little less laissez faire about the whole thing, to try winning some games for a change.  Up until tonight, our fourth game of the season, it looked like we'd done a good job.  At 3-0 we were third in the league (behind only on points difference).  Tonight, we went back to playing like we'd never bounced a basketball before in our lives, to looking scared and throwing the ball away at every opportunity.  Tonight, we threw away an eleven point fourth quarter lead and ended up losing by seven.

Tonight, we returned to form; and it pissed me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment